Inaugural UFC women’s flyweight champion Nicco Montano was supposed to defend her title against Valentina Shevchenko at UFC 228 earlier this month. Regrettably, she was hospitalized while undertaking her weight cut down to 125 pounds, and forced out of the fight.
From there, the UFC made the controversial decision to strip Nicco Montano of her title, which she had not yet defended. Valentina Shevchenko is now expected to fight for the vacant title in the near future — possibly against former UFC strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk.
Speaking to the media back stage at Saturday’s UFC Moscow card, Joanna Jedrzejczyk weighed in on the UFC’s decision to strip Nicco Montano of the strawweight belt. Apparently, she’s ok with the decision.
“I think it was fair,” Jedrzejczyk said (via MMAjunkie). “For me, it’s a shame. Us as fighters, athletes and champions to not be on weight. We need real and dedicated fighters and champions in the UFC. The UFC is the best organization in the world. There’s no space and time for (expletive) like this. It was a very hard decision, very tough decision. I believe that you must take this job very serious. You must be 100 percent in. Weight cuts are not easy, are not nice. But you must be on weight when you have to be.”
Jedrzejczyk also added that the UFC has contacted her about potentially fighting Shevchenko for Nicco Montano’s former title.
“I’ve got an offer, but we’ll see,” Jedrzejczyk said. “I’m very open to fight Valentina Shevchenko. You always want to fight the best fighters, and definitely she is one of the top female fighters in the world.”
What do you think of Joanna Jedrzejczyk’s take on the situation? Was the UFC right to strip Nicco Montano?
This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 9/16/2018.
The post Joanna Jedrzejczyk defends the UFC’s decision to strip Nicco Montano appeared first on | BJPenn.com.